Twitter with The Movie bLogger

A Movie Review:Little Miss Sunshine


"A comedy drama with heart"


How did I watch this film? Well, sale sa Video City ng mga VCD 3 for 99 PESOS. I grabbed the opportunity na makabili ng murang VCD (if I will picture my expression nako "dugapang dugapa"). Ang binili ko "Mind Hunters", "The Door In The Floor", and "Little Miss Sunshine". Little Miss Sunshine ang pinaka maganda sa tatlo, kaya I blogged about it eh. Hehe. First scene pa lang, I got amazed na on the unique character building of the movie.

Sheryl Hoover (portrayed by Toni Collette), an overworked mother of two, leads a life in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Her brother, Frank (portrayed by Steve Carell), studies the works of French author Marcel Proust. He is a homosexual scholar and after attempting suicide, he temporarily lives at home with the family. Meanwhile, Richard (portrayed by Greg Kinnear), Sheryl’s husband, is striving to build a career as a motivational speaker and life coach. He is perfect for it because of his Type A personality. Dwayne (Paul Dano), Sheryl's son from a previous marriage, is a Nietzsche-reading troubled teenager who has taken a vow of silence until he can accomplish his dream of becoming a test pilot. Richard's foulmouthed father Edwin (Alan Arkin), recently evicted from a retirement home for snorting heroin, lives with the family; he is close to his seven-year-old granddaughter Olive (Abigail Breslin).

The title of the film wasn’t so catchy that's why ngayon ko lang siya napanood (thank you Video City!). I might say that I was very into Family Drama but I didn’t expect a lot from this film. I again judged the film by its title. There was magic in this film that other film didn't have. I found the movie very compelling and fresh. I had always loved Toni Collette's acting (very superb). I've seen her in “About a Boy” and “The Hours” and marked me by her acting prowess. The cutie-cute Abigail Breslin gave a stellar performance and made her in demand. Paul Dano's character seemed to be very mysterious which was why he was my favorite character in this film. According to my plurk buddy, Astig Man, "Paul Dano is a really dynamic actor too, he's very much a chameleon, I could see him being like Johnny Depp in the future". I also asked him what the main lesson of this film was and he answered perfectly: "Few underlying levels, the importance of being yourself despite what people think, and how your family is really your number one support system, it stressed a lot of family". The movie was very creative in a way that they put signs that made the film remarkable.


1 comments:

  FinLust

July 27, 2009 at 12:08 AM

Nyahaha! I love her talent here...hehehe!